ASK MTI - PUBLIC DISCUSSION

View Only
  • 1.  Boron Trifluoride BF3 Piping/Equipment Clean Up

Posted 05-20-2022 08:06 AM
    Do members have any experience or recommendations for clean up BF3 piping/equipment for hot work maintenance?

Operations identified a "black residue" that remains in 316 stainless steel piping when they open up the system to do hot work maintenance. We're still waiting for analysis results of the sample of the black residue we sent to a lab, but it's likely residual boron trifluoride compounds/degraded BF3 compounds. 

We're considering soda ash wash similar to clean up procedures to neutralize sulfur based compounds, but I'm not sure if that's the appropriate chemical to use here or if that'd create other unwanted compounds in the system. 

Thanks for your help

------------------------------
    Jess Soliman
    Materials Engineer
    Chevron Oronite
    Belle Chasse, LA
    Mobile: 510-621-9651
    Office: 504-391-6180

• 2.  RE: Boron Trifluoride BF3 Piping/Equipment Clean Up

Posted 05-24-2022 07:02 PM
    My colleagues of Honeywell let me send you the file enclosed.  

"We would purge clean with nitrogen, then water wash to a neutral pH on the discharge.

Our tech brochure and associated lit suggests bases as well "Treatment with calcium based alkalis (hydrated lime or calcium

carbonate) favors hydrolysis of the Boron Trifluoride and precipitation of CaF2 and Ca(BO2)2·6H2O, both of which may be recovered and disposed of as solids" (pg 13). The Armor article recommends carbonate as well."

Hopefully they are helpful to you. 

Jie He
    jie.he@honeywell.com

Jie He
    Honeywell

Attachment(s)

• 3.  RE: Boron Trifluoride BF3 Piping/Equipment Clean Up

Posted 05-29-2022 01:27 PM
    I do not claim any experience with BF3.
    However, Amines and MEK are some solvents that should virtually be able to clean any deposits (applied / cleaned properly).  You have to figure out if the remnants would have any negative consequences on your process, but there should be none on the 316SS itself.     You may also wish to consider high pressure steam jetting.    Did you try out high pressure water jetting?   Unless a corrosion product / scale is developed with the base metal, the deposits should fall out using these.    If it appears to be some type of coking, then some erosive solution measures could be considered. 

If you wish to discuss more, you can reach me with specifics at 281-705-5900, because you haven't provided any process related information that contributes to the formation of the deposits.  I would also consider focusing some attention on understanding and potential prevention of any such deposits.    Good Luck.