ASK MTI - PUBLIC DISCUSSION

View Only
  • 1.  Stress corrosion of Cu in NH4- environment

Posted 09-27-2022 11:49 PM

Hello all

There are some reports about stress corrosion cracking of copper(alloyed with zinc) in the NH4- environment , is there any specific case study material?

Now I have a chiller with pure copper tube (99.9%Cu), does this have risk of stress corrosion cracking in the NH4- or nitrates environment?  Any threshold concentration limit for pure copper NH4- stress corrosion cracking?

Thanks

BR

Feng Min 
    Fixed Equipment Engineer
    Site Maintenance Department

Nouryon(诺力昂)

• 2.  RE: Stress corrosion of Cu in NH4- environment

Posted 09-28-2022 09:37 AM

Feng,

There are several good references on copper alloy SCC in ammonia containing environments, I wrote Chapter 14 of the book;  Stress Corrosion Cracking – Theory & Practice, 2011, Ed. Raja/Shoji, entitled "SCC in Boiler and Cooling Water Systems, where I list several references related to brass (Cu-Zn) SCC.  In this chapter, there is a chart that ranks SCC risk of various classes of copper alloys (from MTI Publication No.15), and I also list a table from AWWA Research Foundation that lists the ppm of ammonia threshold for SCC in Admiralty Brass as less than 0.2 ppm ammonia.

In regards to pure copper (99.9%), I do believe the literature has case histories about SCC failures of high purity copper in ammonia, etc., but typically the ammonia level would be greater to cause SCC in a high purity copper alloy, as compared to Cu-Zn alloys.

• Mel Esmacher

Sent from Mail for Windows

• 3.  RE: Stress corrosion of Cu in NH4- environment

Posted 10-26-2022 01:24 PM
    Mel, In the table you mentioned from AWWA research foundation, does it include the ppm of ammonia threshold for SCC in 90-10 Cu-Ni? 

In addition, does anyone have data on the cracking initiation time of 90-10 Cu-Ni? There are some data on other copper alloys, but I couldn't find any for Cu-Ni. 

Thanks,
    Yingying

------------------------------
    Yingying Wei
    Air Products and Chemicals, Inc.
    Allentown PA
    (610) 481-2245

• 4.  RE: Stress corrosion of Cu in NH4- environment

Posted 10-27-2022 10:53 AM

If you haven't already looked, I'd recommend reviewing the technical literature at the Copper Development Association.  And, they may also have a spot where you can submit a question & a technical expert will direct you to the right info.

Official Site of Copper Development Association, Inc. (USA)

You may also want to look at this article, but its behind a paywall.

Stress corrosion cracking of pure copper in dilute ammoniacal solutions - ScienceDirect

branding bar

Krista L. Heidersbach
    Sr. Engineer, Corrosion, Asset Integrity

O: 832-765-4423 | M: 832-454-8460
    HQ-08-S850-04 | 2331 CityWest Blvd | Houston, TX 77042-2862
    phillips66.com

Phillips 66 Logo

• 5.  RE: Stress corrosion of Cu in NH4- environment

Posted 10-27-2022 01:58 PM
    Thank you, Krista.

Yingying Wei
    Air Products and Chemicals, Inc.
    Allentown PA
    (610) 481-2245

• 6.  RE: Stress corrosion of Cu in NH4- environment

Posted 09-29-2022 12:28 AM
    Edited by Ajit Mishra 09-29-2022 12:28 AM
    Hello Min,
    Is this (NH4-) ammonium hydroxide? MTI MS-6 Ammonia and Caustic Soda is a good reference . As per the handbook, "All copper-based alloys are attacked by ammonium hydroxide unless air is rigorously excluded" "..it is general industry practice to avoid all use of copper-based alloys in ammonia and related services". I'm not sure if you'll definitely notice  SCC but there is a strong possibility of formation of copper-ammonium complexes.

Ajit Mishra
    Corteva
    Midland MI
    (765) 416-2879